One of the things that all skip bin hire companies will insist on is that you must watch what you put in the hired bins. The company will provide you with a list of items that you can freely dispose of in the bins, and other items that should not find their way into the bins.
What Is Not Allowed and Why
You can expect very little variation in the type of items that skip bin hire companies do not allow into their bins. It is against the law to dispose of some waste types in skip bins. Other restrictions are imposed at the discretion of the hire company. Some of the common wastes prohibited in skip bins include the following:
- Electronic appliances, such as TVs
- Gas cylinders
- Asbestos and asbestos-containing materials
- Paints and liquid solvents
- Fuels, such as oil
- All types of medical waste
- White goods such as laundry machines and refrigerators
You cannot dispose of waste such as asbestos-containing material because it is hazardous. Such hazardous waste is harmful to human health and will have an adverse effect on the environment if disposed of in the landfills that hold other wastes. The same goes for toxic medical waste, fuels and paints.
White goods are also very big, and transporting such waste may require the skip bin hire company to find extra resources.
Other wastes such as tyres are better off recycled, and that is why you should think of recycling instead of disposing of them in the skip bins.
What Happens If You Violate the Rules?
It is your responsibility to uphold the terms of the contract that you sign with your skip bin hire company. Should you violate the rule about what you can and cannot dispose of in the hired skip bins, you can expect the following ramifications:
- The crew from the skip bin hire service company may return your load so that you can first sort out the waste.
- If the company goes ahead and makes the necessary arrangement to dispose of the prohibited items, you will be required to cover the additional charges incurred.
- Depending on the specific terms of your agreement, you may be required to pay the penalty either way.
For a smooth skip bin hire experience, and for the safety of everyone involved, you should ensure that you comply with all set restrictions and avoid disposing of prohibited waste in the skip bins.